There have been years when I might as well have worn a cowl. But this year, despite feeling a tad unhappier, (let’s face it, any man overweight, and heading for 40 is going to be a bit acerbic), I have started to appreciate … things, stuff …
- I feel happy speaking to strangers at the gym.
- I feel good working on the guy I pass every morning with the face and the dog, who after a year, we are now nodding to each other. This week we spoke! He looks fierce. But I believe he loves his dog. And I know his dog loves him.
- I am happy making small talk with well-meaning hard-looking guys at the gym. Pussycats one and all!
- I am delighted with lung-busting chat, with kind people at running club.
- I am knocked sideways by boys and men at Explorer Scouts. In every way!
- And I have friends, who regardless of my numptyness, hold steady. They give me lea-way.
So I planned to hit Christmas 2011 in the best physical shape I could be in. I was wrong.
I have hit Christmas 2011 with a bit of a gut and a punished liver. And yet, I arrive here with a fine family and a set of friends you could go to war with.
So. I’ll suck in the gut, and squeeze a few hands. Maybe a few shoulders too.