I seem to have been averaging roughly 4 x 13 mile cycles, 3 x 30-40 minute weight circuits, and one 7-8 mile run, each week. This week, I tried to double up the runs – one mid-week and one on Sunday. Not sure if it was a good idea yet – various random grumbles from the legs AND I’m putting on weight (I’m shoveling food like I’m training for a pie eating competition). Anyway, here’s what I’ve been doing the past seven days to justify the incredible smell coming out of my trainers…
- Tuesday: 6.5 miles cycle to work, swift turn around and then 40 mins in the gym. All free weights. Then work & the return cycle home.
- Wednesday: 6.5 mile cycle in, half hour on the mat doing some core work and some free weights, 6.5 mile cycle home. Quick cup of tea and then out to running club for 8 miles run. 12 sets of consecutive slow minute, fast minute runs. Quite hard work. Was given the membership form. Guess I’d better sign up.
- Thursday: cycled in to work, but decided it best to skip the gym. No cycle home.
- Friday: got a lift to work and put in a solid 40 mins free weight circuit. Cycled home just in time for a shower before helping out at the local Scout group‘s wide game. Home for 9.50pm, followed by a well deserved G&T. Let’s just say I was in bed well before midnight.
- Saturday: Wife and son away, so big pot of home made mac & cheese for dinner, plenty of vino and an early-ish bed.
- Sunday: Up at 7am for a trail run in Muirsheil Country Park. Legs held up well at the time, although for c change it was my lungs that couldn’t keep up. Just not enough oxygen in. Spent the rest of the day eating for Britain.
- Monday: Back on the bike this morning – quite cold but legs felt OK. Foot a little sore but not too bad. Thought it best to skip the gym though. After a day spent at a desk, my peronius longus started to feel tight and sore and I could feel it pushing out on the hills on the cycle home. I’ll do some proper stretching at the gym tomorrow and subject myself to the horrible foam roller.