Here’s what I’ve been up to the last week or so. It started fairly sedentary, but as the weekend came closer, my average BPM hit a spike, and it didn’t really return to baseline until around 9.30pm last night.
- Monday: drove to work as I had to be in super early. Unfortunately, was late getting home so no time for exercise.
- Tuesday: 6.5 mile cycle to work; 16 lengths of the pool front crawl. 6.5 mile cycle home after work.
- Wednesday: 13 miles commute on the bicycle.
- Thursday: 13 miles commute, pedalling again.
- Friday: 10 mile hike up two Munros, with an ascent of 1189 metres – a big old hike round the Black Mount. I’ll write a review of this separately, but for now, Stob Ghabhar contained a heart-pounding slippery and skittish scramble followed by a ridge I don’t think I’d fancy doing again.
- Saturday: 4 mile jog on tarmac. Guess I’d just seen too many grassy inclines the previous day. Thighs heavy, but eased during run.
- Sunday early: 980 metres, 10 kilometres. Solo hike attempt at Beinn a’Chochuill and Beinn Eunaich near Dalmally, but the wind was against me & it fought against my legs all the way up Beinn a’Chochuill. Had to deflect at times from the driving rain, a quite harsh wind chill and occasional gusts in excess of 60mph. After reaching the first peak, even with gloves on I could hardly feel or see my fingers. Sheltering for 15 mins looking at the bealach, I decided to bail out and left Beinn Eunaich for another time and tried to work some feeling back into my fingers as I picked my way back down.
- Sunday late: Two and a half hours of adrenalin-fuelled wave buffeting. A few pints of seawater and speeds of up to 14.5 knots in Corryvreckan on a SeaFari boat, courtesy of top photographer Peter Sandground. An exhilarating, spine crunching and unforgettable ride, I’m still trying to work some feeling back into my fingers.
- Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tulaichean (rennyrambles.wordpress.com)
- (July) Radio Days 2011 (gm7something.wordpress.com)
- Monday supplement (rennyrambles.wordpress.com)
- Best Laid Plans – 3 summits avoided: Carn Dearg, Sgor Gaibhre and Beinn Bheoil (munroblagger.wordpress.com)