My weekly update…
- Monday: 12 miles bike, 20 lengths of the pool.
- Tuesday: 7.2 miles hard hilly trail running, plus a bit of tarmac. My legs hate tarmac.
- Wednesday: 12 miles bike.
- Thursday: 12 miles bike, 26 lengths of the pool, nice and slow. 6 x 400 metres round the bog park. Legs totally trashed from earlier run on tarmac. Hobbled home very sore & feels like ba@stard shin splints!
- Friday: 12 miles bike, 30 lengths of the pool.
- Saturday: had expected to do long run, but a quick kick about in the park with the boy confirmed I’m in no shape to run.
- Sunday: Early start. Attempt number two at a long run. See below…
First two miles, sore & a quick stretch of the calfs; third mile, bone shaking agony (another LONGER stretch); fourth mile contemplate going home, but decide to try and complete the lap.
I couldn’t feel my legs after mile 8 which was great & made me feel glad I didn’t give up earlier, but around mile 12 a worrying groin pain started to burn on the uphill sections. I slowed the pace (not that I could have increased it any!) and ran through it. And amazingly, after about 16 miles I thought maybe I could just squeeze out a few more laps. I finished at 19 miles, in 3.30mins.
I know this is VERY slow, but this will be my first marathon, and I do have a recently repaired exterior oblique to look after. Completing the trail marathon is my goal. Besides, whats a race time worth, if you don’t already have one to better.
At the end of the run, I felt like I could do more. But after trying to extract myself from the car after the journey home, I’m really glad I didn’t. I can barely move!
So, onto my next supplement – glucosamine sulphate and cod liver oil for brunch. Followed by a few rounds of toast, of course.
- Sunday supplement (rennyrambles.wordpress.com)
- So far so so (rennyrambles.wordpress.com)
- Training post (rennyrambles.wordpress.com)
- Weekly round-up (rennyrambles.wordpress.com)