My first day back at work and both Jim and James (my Mighty Deerstalker co-stags) have signed up for the Coniston Trail Marathon on July 3.
But it turns out Jim’s done no training (bad back), and James was only 2 weeks into training before picking up shin splints. Poor chaps. Wait a minute, that levels the playing feel. The three of us have about 10 weeks! Hurray! I’ve just paid my £39. Oh feck! Only 10 weeks. And I’ve never run more than a half-marathon.
But, surely if I do (as James suggests) three runs a week, I can get there. So, a plan is beginning to form…
- Cycle to and from work 3 days a week (easy).
- One day per week: run to work (7 or 8 miles, yet to check it) which could count as short or recovery run.
- One day per week: hill run up Dampton Pad, across fields back along cycle track & around public park.
- Boot camp on a Thursday (bit of circuits, mostly body pump).
- Swim at the weekend (easy).
- Each weekend one long run, starting around 10 miles, add a mile each week (maybe two).